Google

Friday, August 24, 2007

Secret Cat-Digital Paint


This is a section of an illustration recently done for educational publishing, to illustrate a children's story...I had the welcome request to do more images in the "painterly" style, after the art director saw some other images I'd done that way. I love comic-style work/line work, but also have an equal love of painting. But you can't focus on everything at once, so for most of my career I've tended to do comic/line style work. At any rate, inspired (as I mentioned before) by many of the current crop of digital magicians, when opportunity lends itself, I am trying to learn more about digital painting. I learn a lot from each attempt, I find, also frustrating myself somewhat in the process.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marilyn Sholin said...

This is a wonderful illustration and the color use is warm and friendly. I am thoroughly enjoying it!

www.marilynsholin.com/blog

12:51 PM  
Blogger Paul Rivoche said...

Thanks for the nice comment Marilyn!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Dave Dick said...

Man, I hear ya! I read somewhere that when you feel that frustration it's good because your breaking through a boundary you once had. Great job on this painting by they way!

4:20 PM  
Blogger warren said...

That's so inspiring. You've got an incredible range, Paul! I'll bet you're never bored...or far from your desk.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Rivoche said...

Thanks for saying that Warren. I appreciate it. You know what? I'm trying. I don't want to be bored. So if the opportunity comes up then I take the chance to try a new style. To some extent some small new opportunites came by experimenting with stuff and then putting it on my Creative Source portfolio. A few art directors gave me jobs based on that. But also the flip side is that not focusing exclusively on one thing my whole "career", has harmed me to some extent too...I recognize that. But on balance I want to keep going and learning and stay enthusiastic.

Toth wrote me (along with many many others obviously) some real words of wisdom, the truth of which now dawn on me more and more clearly: thoughts along the lines of how quickly you get older, how it's good to get on with things and try different things before you become unable to...so I'm trying to, as he put it in a somewhat corny old saying, "make hay while the sun shines!"

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home