Google

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Louis Cyr Inks


Here's a jpeg of the inks for page 13 of the graphic novel which I did for Scholastic Canada's educational division, about famous French Canadian strongman Louis Cyr. It was done as part of an early reading package, for Grade 3. You can see the book listed here on Scholastic's order page; unfortunately for anyone interested in obtaining a copy, it appears you may only order it as part of a set of 6 books...why they don't release it to the general market, I really don't know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

I was fascinated by Louis Cyr growing up. Do you have prelim work on this book posted somewhere else? I remember seing a couple of pages in pencils at one point, but do you have character designs, research drawings you can share?

8:39 AM  
Blogger Paul Rivoche said...

Sure Dan, I'll see what I can dig up to post. I did a ton of research, but mostly online. I wished I could have gone to the Cyr museum in Quebec.

I grew up in Montreal, but still had never heard of Cyr, unfortunately, before working on this. When I finally learned about him, I was astounded by his exploits!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

That would be great, thanks! The whole 'strong man' thing was pretty big in Quebec when I was growing up. I remember a strong man called something like 'The Big Anthonio' coming to my little town pulling a couple of buses at the corner of my street when I was 10...pretty amazing to see. The guy was HUGE with really long hair, and he was so heavy they modified a car so he could sit in the passenger seat and wave at people, and to this day, I'll never forget how 'tilted' to the passenger side the car was. Pretty cool stuff to see when you're 10 and reading comics like 'The Hulk'.

11:11 AM  
Blogger warren said...

Hey guys! Paul, this is great to see. Friggin Scholastic. I just waltzed in here, so...

Dan! I just read a book with an interview of the Great Antonio! I gotta lend it to you - he sounds hilarious! I wish I could have seen him in action.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home