Google

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Metal Hurlant

The back story on this one: about 1980, just starting out in comics and illustration, I received a surprising letter one day...from Yves Chaland! Of course, that was before he was world-famous, so I had no idea who he was. But, he was working for and with Metal Hurlant, the french precursor magazine to the North American Heavy Metal magazine, and he invited me to submit cover roughs. I did a few--this was one of them--and sent them in. As far as I can recall they never got back to me...probably they didn't like them, or maybe they ended up just too busy. Who knows...for my part I never followed up the correspondance with Chaland beyond that, something I regret. An opportunity missed! Chalk that one up to youthful idiocy... But, some years later, in 1989, I did look him up in Paris, and spent an interesting couple of hours with him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dik Pose said...

Thanks for posting some history with these images... I am diggin' this piece man!

1:08 AM  
Blogger Paul Rivoche said...

Thanks dik...nice to dig some of these oldies out and spruce them up and give them a home. I thought a brief intro to some of these drawings would be fun, each drawing always has a kind of invisible "back story"...

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home