Google

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Thanks for everything, Alex


As anyone who follows the world of comics has no doubt heard by now, comics master Alex Toth has passed away.

A lot has been said about him already, and for my own part I've already written of--and repeat wholeheartedly--my fascinated admiration for his art, and his craftsmanship, and his example.

I may post more thoughts but for now I thought I'd share these doodles. In our on-and-off correspondance, he never sent many sketches, and I never asked; but one day, unexpectedly, enigmatically, there was enclosed along with his letter a whole bundle of doodles. A joyful windfall.

Thanks again for everything, Alex.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dik Pose said...

Thanks for sharing Paul...

He will be missed...

3:18 AM  
Blogger Paul Rivoche said...

Thanks dik.

You bet he'll be missed...one bright side may be that it may prompt some of the newer generation to catch up with his stuff. Although, if they haven't seen all his comics work, that might not be their fault, because unless I'm mistaken a lot of his DC stuff hasn't been reprinted...DC is overdue to put out a beautiful "Best of Toth" volume or three, properly printed and colored...but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home